FILM OR DIGITAL?




Growing up I always owned some type of 35mm camera, whether it be a disposable or a nice automatic self rewinding one. These camera hold near and dear to my heart because of the nostalgia factor but also the quality of the picture. The picture or "negative" that is produced when you snap a picture on film has this nice subtle noise and grainy texture to it that you really cannot get with digital photos. It reminds me of my childhood and old photography that brings back the nostalgia factor, that I cannot seem to just get over. Going to the photo center in a local photo processing place and waiting to see what your pictures are like always gave me a thrill. There was a sense of anticipation and surprise when you too picture on film. It was a gamble to see how good your pictures really did come out. It gave something to look forward to. This is one of the reasons I still use film also. The sense of not knowing what your picture looks like till a day or two later. I also feel like you pay closer attention to the cameras correct settings and what exposure, ISO, and focus you need to make a good picture, apposed to digital where you can just delete a picture of the camera and try again. The only real downside of film is that it can be VERY costly in the long run. Buying film is getting a little more expense because its becoming less and less used. Everyone is going to digital because it is more convenient and cheaper in the long run. I also feel more people get prints when they take pictures on film and have keepsakes of photos. Lot more people just keep pictures on their computer never to be printed. I think people need to take a look back and just remember the good times they had snapping photographs with film.

So what do you guys think? Do you like the film better or using a digital camera?

21 comments:

Unknown | March 20, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Coming from a guy who loves vinyl over mp3 (I know completely different medium here), I surprisingly don't like film over digital. I mean if you actually develop it yourself than I could agree that it's better or at least more fulfilling as you are doing it yourself but taking it to Wal-Mart to do it..bleh rather just do it all myself digitally.

Jessica Thompson | March 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Digital Cameras all the way. No wasting money on developing useless shots. Plus I can take as many photos as I like!

Azurikai | March 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM

i enjoy the process of developing, but its hard to get time or buy the equipment to develop your film for every day things, so i'm going with a digital at the moment. when i feel like getting into it, i'll develop my own stuff.

Anonymous | March 20, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Not by far, but I like more the old method with film, it feels... richer.

A.C.Brown | March 21, 2011 at 3:34 AM

i like the idea of keeping things as non digital as possible, my local book shop just shut down for example but hmv next door is sold out of kindles.
wahey.

MacAttack | March 21, 2011 at 5:34 AM

I had loads of 35mm cameras throughout my childhood, now film is only used by old people and "professionals"...

Luis Costa | March 21, 2011 at 7:49 AM

yes non digital people say its better but i don't if thats true but i use a digital camera so

Trapper | March 21, 2011 at 8:18 AM

my wife is addicted to her digital camera no more trips to the photo store for me!

Hoppla | March 21, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Film is way to go in my opinion..

Doomsday | March 21, 2011 at 9:28 AM

I like digital cameras a lot more, the quality is just a lot better.

lazymover | March 21, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Congrats on your 100th follower. :D I personally prefer digital but that may be due to the fact that I never really shot with film... Still both ways allow for incredible creativity if you know what you are doing.

Desuuuu | March 21, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Take the shots and don't look at the camera's LCD after.
Go back home, connect the camera to your pc and queue all photos for printing.
And that's how you get your thrill and gamble back.

GergleBlah | March 21, 2011 at 7:50 PM

To be honest, film, It seems to be more expensive now...but it feels so much more antique and "real" i cant really explain it, but film. :)

PenDRaGoN | March 21, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Great post!
Riht now Im saving a little to buy an old Pollaroid camera.

Anonymous | March 21, 2011 at 10:15 PM

In the beginning I refused changing to digital but know digital have achieve a great resolution, so I prefer it over film....

KrisuSS | March 22, 2011 at 8:38 AM

I had many 35mm cameras when i was a child, now got digital

Giles! Moxy | March 23, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Ive always been more of a fan of digital, sure the whole processing film is nice, but digital I can photoshop and muck around with it. In the end im going to put it on facebook anyway, so digital saves me a step

Trapper | March 23, 2011 at 8:34 AM

My wife started useing the old cheapy wind and snap cameras.

Jared Aguirre | March 23, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Film. You get some bad shots, but if you're a good enough photographer, having that single great shot on film...it's priceless. It's a way to show true beauty in things, don't have to alter it. You accept it as is.

But for more daily use, digital.

Daniel Andrade | March 23, 2011 at 7:39 PM

digital..not as stylish but style isnt all

Anonymous | March 24, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Digital has more flexible but film just looks more classic and unique.

Post a Comment